Sunday, April 21, 2013

How to Dress for Coachella 2013

Peace, Love, and Dust Storms! Anyone else at Coachella this year? We snagged some tickets and met some friends at the Coachella polo fields for 2013's festival. The grass was green, the sun was streaming, and the dust was blowing. There were serious winds, my friends. But we persevered and saw lots and lots of amazing music groups. Of course, I had to plan out some special Coachella outfits for the festival.

First up, BRIGHT COLORS! 
Coachella is about fun, and you want to stand out, so I recommend bright colors. I'm calling this outfit "Coachella 2003 Redux." It's been 10 years since our last Coachella. Back in 2003, I didn't really sew, but I sometimes played around with my sewing machine. My friend and I decided to make our own "skirts" for Coachella. I say "skirts" with quotes because it was really just a strip of fabric with darts hap-haphazardly thrown in, and secured with a hook-and-eye. Let's take a look back at 2003, shall we:

I dug out this "skirt" and updated it--lengthened the hem, added additional hooks-and-eyes, and added on two pockets. (Pockets are REQUIRED for all music festivals! You don't want to have to deal with a purse.)

The top is made from a pattern that I drafted for a friend. I'm really into mixing lace with other fabrics. This top is bright, breezy, and perfect for a music festival.

Second, LACE! 
Lace was a HUGE trend at Coachella. It was everywhere! We'll call this outfit "Hazy Lace Day" because the dust put everything in a haze. I didn't make this dress--it's from Target. But I got it music-festival-ready by adding a hidden pocket.


Under the top line of lace, I sewed in a zipper and inserted a huge pocket that goes all the way to the side seams. Love!

Third, COMFORT! 
This outfit could be called "All About Comfort." By the third day, comfort is key! You're grimy, you're dusty, you're sore, and you're tired, so you need an outfit that you won't have to worry about. The top is from Target and the black shorts are from Goodwill.



Again, pockets make this outfit ready for Coachella. I added a zipper to the back pocket of the shorts for some added security.

Finally, MUSIC! 
After all, while it's fun to plan Coachella outfits, it's really all about the music. Two of my favorite sets from the weekend were Birdy Nam Nam and C2C--both French 4-person DJ groups that use their turntables as instruments. I'll leave you with some music. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Coachella!! Looks like you had an awesome time. I love the updated skirt (how did we survive without pockets??) and the pink tank. I seriously can't believe we were there 10 YEARS AGO. Insane. Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!